Wednesday, December 12, 2007

ELIZABETHAN FASHION

source: http://vintagesewing.info
source: http://www.elizabethan-era.org.uk
source: http://www.springfield.k12.il.us/schools/springfield/eliz/womensfashion.html


In the 16th century, during the reign of Elizabeth I., the Sumptuary Laws dictated how to dress. Those laws were created to help maintaining the rigid class structure. Thus, certain colours, textiles and clothes were linked to specific ranks within society.
As you can see in the pics above, the dresses were very pompous, often contained ruffs and had a geometrical shape.
The Elizabethan concept of ideal beauty contained light hair, a snow white complexion (indication of the upper class) as well as red lips and cheeks.


Im 16. Jahrhundert, während der Herrschaft Elizabeths I., bestimmten die Gesetze über Luxusaufwendungen, wie man sich zu kleiden hatte. Diese Gesetze sollten die rigiden Klassenstrukturen der elizabethanischen Gesellschaft aufrechterhalten. Deshalb waren Farben, Stoffe und Kleidungsstücke mit der gesellschaftlichen Position eines Individuums verbunden.
Wie Ihr in den Bildern sehen könnt, waren die Kleider sehr aufwendig gestaltet, meistens mit einem großen Halskragen verziert und hatten eine geometrische Form.
Dem Schönheitsideal der damaligen Zeit entsprachen eine schneeweiße Hautfarbe (dies galt als Zeichen der Oberschicht), helles Haar, sowie rote Lippen und Wangen.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

helped so much with my report on fashion in elizabethan england!thanks!

Anonymous said...

it really helped with designing a dress for her thanks

Anonymous said...

Thank you foг the auspiсіouѕ
wгitеup. It in fаct waѕ a amusement account it.
Look advanсed tο moгe added agrееаble fгοm
yοu! However, hoω could we сοmmunicаte?


my web-ѕіte :: abrir cuenta facebook

Anonymous said...

I leave a response each time I like a post on a site or I have something to
contribute to the conversation. Usually it is triggered by
the fire displayed in the article I read. And on this post "ELIZABETHAN FASHION".
I was moved enough to drop a thought ;) I do have 2
questions for you if you do not mind. Is it just me or does it seem like a few of these comments appear like they are coming
from brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are writing on additional places, I would like to keep up with anything fresh
you have to post. Would you list every one of your social pages like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?


my site :: Hotmail Email Directory